Barcelona Flamenco Ballet will be bringing Luxuria, a tale of passion and intrigue, to Ohrid Summer Festival in North Macedonia this August. They’ll be performing on Thursday 4th, which is exactly 62 years after the first edition of the festival took place, making it an honour to celebrate this historical event with them.
Founded in 1961, the festival features concerts, plays, poetry readings and ballet performances, and is the biggest music and theatre event in North Macedonia. It has hosted performers and musicians from over 60 countries and is held at a series of venues throughout Ohrid, though Barcelona Flamenco Ballet will be showcasing their production at the Ancient Theatre of Ohrid, an amphitheatre built during the Roman times to exhibit gladiator fights. After the fall of the Roman Empire, the theatre was abandoned and buried by locals, only to be uncovered again in the 1980s, when it once again became a site of public performances, such as plays, concerts, operas and ballet performances.
Ohrid Summer Festival is also a member of the European Festivals Association (EFA) and EFFE label, several of whose members we have performed for in the past, including:
- Ghent Festival of Flanders (Belgium) – 2018, 2019
- Ljubljana Festival (Slovenia)
- Izmir International Festival (Turkey)
- Festival de Wiltz (Luxembourg)
- Al Bustan International Festival of Music and the Performing Arts (Lebanon)
- Forde Traditional and World Music Festival (Norway) – 2015, 2018
- Varna Summer International Music Festival (Bulgaria)
- VIA Fest (Bulgaria)
- Nomus Festival (Serbia)